John Rice is an experienced estate planning attorney. For the past 37 years his practice has served families, individuals and business owners across the states of Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada, California and Arizona. John has solutions that meet the needs of small, medium and large estates. He takes the time to listen to his clients’ needs and works hard to tailor fit an estate plan to meet their goals and desires. He takes great pride in helping his clients protect the legacy they work so hard to build. His estate planning practice extends to helping families deal with the administration of deceased family members’ estates through probate or trust administration, and successfully resolving disputes that often arise between competing beneficiaries.
John began his legal career in 1984 working for a labor law firm. After seven years he branched out on his own. While the majority of his practice centered on estate planning, he also gained a wealth of experience in other areas of the law, including criminal defense, federal contract disputes, consumer disputes, commercial and residential landlord/tenant transactions and disputes, real estate transactions and disputes, business transactions and disputes, tax court, adoptions, guardianship, conservatorship, bankruptcy, litigation and personal injury. He applies this experience to help his clients protect their assets and preserve their children’s inheritance from creditor claims, divorce claims, substance abuse issues and other circumstances that require unique and careful planning.
John was born and raised in the beautiful Bitterroot Valley in the Blue Sky State of Montana. When the snow flies, he still hits the slopes. He served a two-year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Thailand. After his mission, he finished his undergraduate degree at the University of Utah in Economics and received his Juris Doctorate from the University of Utah Law School in 1984. He is the proud grandfather of 10 beautiful grandchildren (with more on the way).
- Bachelor of Arts, Economics, University of Utah,1979, Magna Cum Laude
- Juris Doctorate, University of Utah School of Law, 1984.
- Utah State Bar
- U.S. District Court of Utah
- U.S. 10th Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court
- Western Conference of Teamsters Legal Services, Local 222, Panel Attorney
- Estate Planning Section, Utah State Bar
- Litigation Section, Utah State Bar
- Criminal Defense Section, Utah State Bar
- ABA Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law
- Utah Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Salt Lake Chapter of the American Guild of Organists, Dean 2019 -2022
- (Service Playing Certified)